Who We Are
YouthRISE Nigeria stands for Youth Initiative for Drug Research, Information, Support and Education for reducing harms related to Drug Use.
The organisation began operations in 2010 until it was formally founded in 2014. Our organization was founded in response to an increase in drug use and HIV infection among young people, and the salient need for Drug Policy Reform in the country. Based on the expertise of the organisation and increasing demand, YouthRISE Nigeria does not only provide services for young people who use drugs but also inclusive of adult drug users.
- In 2017, the Africa Union Commission in her Ministers of Health meeting identified YouthRISE Nigeria Treatment Center as a top-notch service to be promoted across the continent.
- In 2017, YouthRISE Nigeria organized the first regional consultation exercise on Drug Policy reform across Geo-political zones in Nigeria.
- YouthRISE Nigeria is a 2016 recipient of the prestigious UNAIDS Red Ribbon Award for Outstanding Community Leadership in AIDS Response.
- National Agency for the Control of Aids (NACA) and the Global Fund Secretariat selected YouthRISE Nigeria to lead the nationwide consultation among community members. This process saw to the development and submission of the “Nigeria Concept Note/Proposal on HIV/AIDS to the Global Fund under the New Funding Model in 2014/2015.
- Establishment of a One Stop Shop for Drug Users by providing of Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) and treatment services for other Sexually Transmitted Infections.
- Training of over 200 drug users as Peer Educators in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Establishment of Female Only Peer Support Group for Women who Use Drugs.
- Mapping and Coverage of living clusters of People Who Use Drugs within the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Establishment of the first and only Support Group for HIV Positive Drug Users in Nigeria.
- Integration of Sexual and Reproductive Health Services into the HIV program reaching out to Females Who Use Drugs in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Family Integration Service for People Who Use Drugs and their family members.
- Effective Advocacy with the Nigeria Senate on drug policy reform.