Scope of Work
The Advocacy and Policy Officer will be responsible for providing policy research, analysis, and writing on YouthRISE Nigeria’s key thematic areas, including global health, drug policy reform, youth empowerment, and research on evidence-based best practices. The position reports to the Executive Director and will be based in one of YouthRISE Nigeria’s offices in Abuja.
In this role, you will;
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative policy research and analysis in support of YouthRISE Nigeria’s policy objectives and priorities.
- Support the implementation of YouthRISE Nigeria in policy and advocacy strategy by ensuring its plans are consistent with the organization’s goals and leading or supporting specific strands of work or projects, including scoping out new policy issues.
- Understand the factors of advocacy and trends that enable successful advocacy programs.
- Provide professional support and insights on YouthRISE Nigeria’s priorities including Drug policy reform, Health Systems Strengthening, Basic Health Care access for marginalized populations in Nigeria
- Prepare documents on specific policy issues, including brief papers, data visualization, policy analysis, blog posts, talking points, and presentations.
- Support the Organization to cultivate relationships with external stakeholders and partners and manage government relations on behalf of YouthRISE Nigeria.
- Represent YouthRISE Nigeria at meetings, seminars, and workshops, and consolidate relevant information for consumption by teams across the organization.
- Manage stakeholder engagement and relationships
- Through interaction with the Global Policy networks, contribute to the development of YouthRISE Nigeria’s policy positions nationally & globally, to ensure that all YouthRISE Nigeria’s policy positions contain highly credible content.
- Build robust and concrete relationships with civil society networks and private sector groups around ongoing campaigns.
- Collect and document project stories for sharing, learning and advocacy.
- Perform any other duties as appropriate to the role.
WHAT YOU BRING TO YOUTHRISE NIGERIA
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in economics or a development-related field.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in a policy role.
- Strong understanding of local and global development policy issues
- Impressive knowledge and experience of working in partnership with civil society organizations, government agencies, private sector groups, and/or international development agencies.
- Good understanding of the links between policy, advocacy, campaigning, and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy.
- Experience in partnership building, and also in influencing stakeholders, establishing and maintaining strong partnerships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Familiarity with or ability to learn data tools (e.g., Excel, Tableau, Stata, Python)
- Consistent record in synthesizing and explaining complex issues to audiences in a concise way
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment
- Flexible, resourceful, and innovative with the ability to manage competing priorities in a constantly evolving environment.
- Ability to multi-task with good organizational skills
- Dedication and commitment to YouthRISE Nigeria’s mission and policy priorities.
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to always maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work
- You will be required to work directly with key and vulnerable populations and at high risk of / living with HIV, gender, and human rights violations in a limited resource environment.
- Highly organized, analytical, meticulous, and initiative taking.
- Collaborative approach and strong people skills.
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations.
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Flexible and resourceful.
Timeline & Location
This position is based in FCT. It is a one-year appointment and subject to renewal based on performance. The contract will begin with an initial 3-month probationary period.
Interested applicants should forward a Cover letter and CV with at least 3 professional references (name, contact information, and statement of relationship to the reference) to Hr@youthriseng.org with the Subject Line “Advocacy & Policy Officer Application” on/before 20th April 2022. Reference must include the last place worked.
We understand that a diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds makes our team stronger. YouthRISE Nigeria does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.